How to run a wordpress installation in LAN?
You shall find a lot of posts & video tutorials about running wordpress in a local PC without using an actual server. But a lot of time it becomes a need to run a wordpress installation in a Local Area Network (LAN). One may find a number of paid & free softwares to achieve it. Today I am going to share a method, by which you can very easily create an environment where you will be running a wordpress installation in LAN.
You need Wamp Server, WordPress & minimum two or more Windows PC connected in LAN (Local Area Network).
The method I am going to share is successfully tested in running using a windows PC acting as a server with the help of Wamp Server software.
- Download wamp server software from http://www.wampserver.com/en/.
- Install the software & run it. You will find a green wamp icon at the task bar.
- Left click on the icon and click on Put Online from the opened list.
- For a moment, the icon will change to orange and then back again to green.
- Install wordpress in the same PC.
- You may find a good tutorial about wordpress installation using wamp at wpbeginner.com
- Now you have to put an IP Address to the Ethernet / Wireless Adapter.
- To do it, you first need to know what is your current IP Address. To find it, open Control Panel and search for the term network.
- You will find an option called View network connections. Click on it to open Network Connections window.
- Right click the connection that you want to modify and select Properties from available options.
- Network Connection Properties window will open.
- Change the properties of Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Put a suitable higher value like 192.168.1.150 in IP Address area and 255.255.255.0 in Subnet mask area.
- Close all the opened windows by clicking OK button where ever available.
- You may find a good article about changing IP Address at computerhope.com
- Now, open wordpress admin panel and go to Settings -> General Settings.
- Replace WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) both with the IP Address value (e.g. 192.168.1.150) you put in the Network Connections.
- Save it and you will be ready to serve your wordpress site in LAN.
- To open the wordpress site in lan, put the IP Address value in browser and Voilà!
- Admin page of the site is also available in the usual way (e.g. 192.168.1.150/wp-admin).